1) like i mentioned, i'm going to a women's retreat tonight with my friends from church. somehow, someone from the church managed to hook a connection with nancy leigh demoss and she's coming to spend the weekend with us. the retreat is only one night, actually less than 24 hours, and i hope to come home revived in heart, but doubtfully revived in body. we 20-somethings (i have another six weeks to be a 20-something!) will stay up late and still have to get up early so as not to miss nancy. but the fun and refreshment (relationally, spiritually, emotionally) will be worth it!
(thanks, friend, for making sure i can go this weekend!)
2) i have six weeks to consider myself a 20-something. june 1 is the big day. i really haven't thought too much about it, except that i'm planning a 30 til 30 series for the 30 days leading up to my birthday (begining may 2). michael said he's consider doing the same thing later in the month, which means he'd actually have to start a blog. stay tuned...
3) luke has been really fun lately. he turns 18-months next friday. i can hardly believe he's not a baby anymore. he loves to dance to any music (especially my sister's cell phone ring tones) and play outside on our balcony. he can entertain himself for minutes with a small broom michael picked up for him at the hardware store across the street. he's also talking quite a bit, though most of it we still can't understand.
isn't he cute? i love this picture. it's from a couple weeks ago (okay, a month ago) during spring break. we took a picnic one afternoon when michael was off from class. as you can tell, the oatmeal cookies he's holding were a big hit. aren't the trees in the background pretty? i think they're dogwoods.
4) as i've been packing this morning (yes, it takes me awhile to pack for an overnight trip...), i laughed to myself about how i've picked up an annoying habit of overpacking and i'm desperately trying NOT to do that now. i've had my overnight duffle bag for years, i actually bought it when i lived in the philippines. my teammate lisa bought an identical bag. once, when we went out of town for 10 days, we both packed our little adidas duffles and a school-sized backpack. now, eight years later, i pack the same bag when i leave for two days. it's a sad reality.
5) i just realized i forgot to put michael's dinner for tonight in the crock pot. oops. i think it will still be cooked in time if i cook it on high until i leave...
he's having this recipe from allrecipes.com
easy and delicious chicken
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 (8 ounce) bottle Italian-style salad dressing
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 cup chicken broth
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste
In a slow cooker, combine the chicken breasts and Italian-style dressing.
Cover, and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.
Drain off the juices, and shred the chicken meat. In a medium bowl, mix the soup, broth, cream cheese, basil, thyme, salt, and pepper. Pour over the chicken in the slow cooker. Continue cooking on Low for 1 hour.
sounds tasty, or rather delicious, doesn't it?
6) the seven quick takes has not been very quick for me. i started writing a couple hours ago. the cute little toddler distracts me. he wants to be fed and stuff. silly boy.
7) it's raining today. i was a little disappointed as i had wanted to take luke for a walk before i left, but i love the rain. it would be a great day to curl up with a good book and snuggle under the covers. but, i don't have a book -- or time to read today. i just finished reading great expectations last week. i'm on a classics kick. before that, i read to kill a mockingbird for the first time since sixth grade.
what should i read next? any suggestions?
y'all have a great weekend!